Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Getting Sappy In My Old Age

I'm not really old but I did just recently have another birthday so I do count them.

My kids have all sung in the same high school choir group when they were juniors and seniors in high school. They do various small concerts at different venues in the month of December. They had one today that I always go to. It is in a beautiful old building which just happens to be the building that Jim works in. I never miss this concert but this is the first year that Jim has been able to attend as well.

This choir always sings a song which brings me to tears. It's called "Candlelight Carol." The first time I heard it sung was when Elisa was in this choir ten years ago. She sang it for two years, followed by Sarah for three I think. Emma sang it for two, Ian for two, and today Seth sang it with this group for the first time. I could only sit there in the middle of the large gathering room with tears coming down my face. I remembered all those Christmas' when all my kids were home. Only Seth is left now and I am a sap among saps. It was like ten years rolled before my eyes as they sang. Miss them.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eME_gxZRDxo&feature=related

CANDLELIGHT CAROL

by John Rutter

Verse 1: How do you capture the wind on the water? How do you count all the stars in the sky? How can you measure the love of a mother, or how can you write down a baby's first cry?

REFRAIN: Candlelight, angel light, firelight and starglow shine on his cradle till breaking of dawn. Gloria, Gloria in excelsis deo! Angels are singing; the Christ Child is born.

Verse 2. Shepherds and wisemen will kneel and adore him, Seraphim round him their vigil will keep; Nations proclaim him their Lord and their Savior, but Mary will hold him and sing him to sleep. (REFRAIN)

Verse 3. Find him at Bethlehem laid in a manger: Christ our Redeemer asleep in the hay. Godhead incarnate and hope of salvation: A child with his mother that first Christmas Day. (REFRAIN)

4 comments:

  1. Old age has nothing to do with you. You've been sappy for a looooooong time. I went with you when Emma sang it, and we both were bawling our eyeballs out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://bakeuntilgoldenbrown.blogspot.com/2009/12/regret.html

    I blogged about that song last year! I do love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would also like you to know that this is the only song that I stole from the WHS acapella room.
    But I'm pretty sure I returned it, because I don't have it anymore....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss you too :) And I miss A'capella. It made Christmas all the more Christmas-y.

    ReplyDelete