Saturday, January 8, 2011

Bishop Jim

This picture was taken in September of last year right after Jim was ordained the Bishop of our ward. He is a very busy man. He is a very good man and a very, very kind and thoughtful husband. He  is gone a lot either at his regular employment or doing service as a Bishop. It's Saturday evening and he is off right now at the Bishop's office doing a bunch of paper work.

Occasionally he asks me to make visits with him. I always love doing that. Over the Christmas break he asked me if I would go and visit the widows in our ward with him. I really love doing that. He has always had a soft spot in his heart for the widows, long before he was called as Bishop.

Jim is generally a very quiet man. Being Bishop requires that he be a bit more social than he is used to. He is thoughtful in that regard and extends himself as needed.

I think Jim is honestly the kindest, nicest man I have ever known in my life. There isn't a selfish bone in his body. If there is, I have never seen it and I really cannot imagine it.

This is what it says in the New Testament about Bishops:

“For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre…” Titus 1:7 I never see Jim get angry and he is certainly not selfwilled.

It is a tough calling for him sometimes. The calling averages about five years of service and then he is released and it is someone else's turn. He has about four more years to go. It is a nice time for me to support him as he serves God by serving others.
Bishops are asked to be clean-shaven. His employment also asks the same. I always liked his beard, I miss it. I figured out why I like his beard besides the fact that when I first saw him wear one after we started dating, I was quite smitten. To me, it sort of represents his gentle nature, therefore his heart. He still has the same nature without it and I like him just fine without it, but I like when he gets to grow one like these two pictures when we went back east in October. It was coming in really nicely and then one morning the day before he had to do a day trip of business, I walked in the bathroom and he was shaving it off. No warning to me. Gone again.


I suppose I'll just have to wait until the next vacation.



1981
1982

2 comments: