Thursday, January 6, 2011

Can You Believe Another Audition?

Elisa sent me an e-mail one Sunday morning about a month and a half ago or so. This is similar to what it said:

"The LDS Church is entering pre-production on a very large film project, “The New Testament” based on the events of the New Testament, to be produced near Salt Lake City, UT.  We seek a broad variety of cast who resemble the cultures and races represented within the scriptural account, namely: Semitic, Roman, Greek, Egyptian, and others of Middle Eastern/Southern European/Arabic/North African origin.

We seek individuals with dark hair (white, gray or bald is also fine), olive to brown skin tone, and notable bone structure. Men should be able to grow a beard.

If you know of anyone who fits this description and would be willing to participate in our production, please forward this information to him/her.

We seek ALL possible candidates for a variety of roles: Actors and Extras." They also said somewhere that they were looking for people who looked like they could have stepped out of the pages of the New testament.


Well it took me about ten minutes to go to their site, apply and attach two pictures of my "notable bone structure." I love the New Testament. I told myself I would never do any acting again after "Fiddler on the Roof" but their website seemed to be looking for mostly what I see in the mirror everyday so I thought I needed to apply. I had/have absolutely no expectations except that I thought it might be wonderful to be some sort of extra in this film. I can't really remember much of the online application except that there was a part to put in some sort of personal thought about yourself. I mentioned that all I knew is that when you put a head scarf on me, I absolutely look like I could have stepped out of the pages of the New Testament.

About a month ago there was an e-mail notifying applicants about an audition workshop to teach you how to audition. A few days after that I received another e-mail stating that although I had not necessarily applied to audition for one of the speaking roles, I was invited to come to the workshop and then to audition. (I think this e-mail went out to more than just me). 

I thought about this long and hard. I had a few times where I thought to myself, "Do I really want to see my nose on the BIG screen?" Me in a head scarf without makeup is really not all that flattering. It takes some work in the morning to get myself presentable to be seen in public and anyone who has seen me in the morning can attest to that!

Anyway, I went to the workshop. It was very, very helpful. Today was my actual audition. I was a nervous wreck but I was prepared. I even went without makeup. I kept thinking about my audition for "Fiddler on the Roof" the last few days. Gratefully-there was no singing this time!!! It was all VERY professional. I had a part they wanted me to memorize and read opposite someone who was reading for the Savior. All the women auditioning for any woman's part had to do a short audition about the "woman at the well" from John chapter 4. I have a picture of the "woman at the well" posted  near where I read my scriptures every morning. It's been there for about the last 7 years. I look at the picture every day. I love that scripture story. I really love that scripture story. I frequently look at that picture and think about what she was doing there and how meaningful that event was.

The person who was doing the audition and reading for the Savior talked to me about the story for about a minute before the taping began. He wanted to explain a little bit about the story to me. He didn't know about my picture and so I didn't say anything. I just listened politely. He was very, very nice. He asked me to do one part over again a different way. I was glad when the audition was over because I was really nervous but I did the best I think I was capable of. 

I have no expectations. All I know is what I see in the mirror and what the casting director said the night of the workshop. She said the director was looking for "notable bone structure." Then she proceeded to very, very politely point to her nose and mention that she thought that meant "the nose and cheekbones." She was really very polite and thoughtful when she said it.

Let me digress a little bit. When I was on my mission, there was one common phrase I heard over and over and over again my whole mission. "你有很大的鼻子! (nǐ yǒu hěn dàde bízǐ) This was always said with a great deal of shocked and surprised emphasis as if the person saying it had never seen anything like it before. Translated that means "you have a VERY big nose!" The emphasis was always on the word "BIG." Their eyes always went really wide and the expressions on their faces were always the same...as if to say...it's huge and I've never seen anything like it before!!! I got used to it and never took offense. They were just stating a fact.

So when the casting director very, very politely referred to "notable bone structure" as being somewhat associated with a nose, I thought how very polite she was and how nice it was to hear it referred to so politely for a change.

I had to have two headshots (pictures)  taken of me today to be attached to my file. When they said "turn to the side" for a profile shot I thought to myself..."notable, isn't it?" :) At the end of the audition tape while the camera was still rolling they had me turn to one side and then the other to get a shot from the side. No one blurted out  "nǐ yǒu hěn dàde bízǐ!!!" It was so nice and one of the only times in my life I didn't mind having a "dàde bízǐ". :)

I have no idea what will happen from here. I think being an extra in this production would be a wonderful experience. Here is a recent link about the setting. It looks like it will be wonderful.

I love the New Testament so much. As I mentioned before in one of my posts, the nuns taught me it so well. The New Testament stories are really are a part of me. It would be so cool to be just someone in the crowd even if I did have to wear a head scarf and see my profile from the side on the big screen..

At least if I get a callback this time, I'll know what a "callback" is. :)

But the Church is serious about getting their actors right because I found this on the casting website:

2010 AUDITIONS
Utah Area Auditions: January 5-8 and 12-15, 2011
Los Angeles Area Auditions: October 20, 21 and January 18-20, 2011  
San Diego Auditions: October 19 -- COMPLETED
Fresno/Bakersfield Auditions: October 19 -- COMPLETED
New York City Area Auditions: October 23, 26, 27 -- COMPLETED
Toronto Area Auditions: October 21, 22 -- COMPLETED
Montreal Area Auditions: October 27 -- COMPLETED
Ottawa Area Auditions:  October 28 -- COMPLETED
Auditions in the United Kingdom, France and Italy -- COMPLETED
Andalucia, Spain Area Auditions: November 2-9 -- COMPLETED
Madrid, Spain Area Auditions: November 10 -- COMPLETED
Phoenix, AZ Area Auditions: November 12, 13 -- COMPLETED
Sao Paulo, Brazil Area Auditions: November 29, 30 and December 1 -- COMPLETED
Santiago, Chile Area Auditions: December 1, 2, 3 -- COMPLETED


My goodness. They really are serious.





3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Keep the blog posted! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golde! I love this! I hope you make it and I hope you are the woman at the well. I was in the RS room of one of the buildings in our stake last night and that picture was on the wall. I stared at it for quite awhile thinking about how much I love that story. You had me laughing out loud with the "hen dade bidz" thing. I, too, had that experience my entire mission. Such a fond memory!

    Eloise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aquiline noses of the world unite!! Looking forward to see you on the big screen :)

    ReplyDelete