Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Dog Story

I guess I'll tell a few mission stories this week.

I had one experience in Taichung that I will never forget. I have thought of it many, many times over the years. It is one of the reasons I am not worried about Ian as a missionary. I'll just quote it from my mission journal:

The date of this entry was September 17, 1982... 4 years to the day when I was baptized.

"We were tracting in a neighborhood of houses tonight, all of which seemed to have dogs.  (I remember this neighborhood. It was a long, narrow lane shaped like a "U" where there was only one way in and one way out. We had left our bikes at the head of the open end of the "U". ) We were walking back to our bikes and all of a sudden this humongous horse of a doberman pincher came charging at us. We let out a yelp and were petrified. He stopped all of a sudden one foot in front of us, cocked his head (to one side) and looked at us almost as if he has seen something and turned around real fast and ran the other way back to his gate. I don't know why he stopped and looked at us so strangely but I know we were protected.  My life has been spared so many times here. I know we are protected."

I can still see us standing frozen with fear as that dog came charging at us. He was huge and he literally charged at us. To this day, I have a little fear of dogs charging at me. I remember we got on our bikes as fast as we could got out of there!

I'm just so glad that missionaries are in the Lord's hands.

I copied  and pasted this from the net: "Doberman Pinschers along with Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, and Chow Chows are one of the most dangerous and hostile breeds all across the United States. Doberman Pinschers, like Pit Bulls, are considered fighting dogs and therefore posses the natural characteristics of a dominant and aggressive dog. Their natural muscular stature makes them strong in their demeanor. They are great work or service dogs (Police Dogs, Guard Dogs, Military dogs, Watch Dogs) because they are protective, intelligent, zealous, and are a powerful breed of dog. However, since they are a strong and large type of dog, they are more likely to attack a person than a smaller breed of dog. Although some pet owners may argue that a Doberman Pinscher's temperament is a misconception, no one can really predict if this breed of dog will attack and cause a dog bite-related injury. But one can be aware of its natural traits that are often associated with dangerous behavior."
This was my companion at the time, Sister Newburg. She had only been my companion for four days when this incident occurred. She had also been one of my MTC companions.

Oh, and my hair ALWAYS had problems in Taiwan!

1 comment:

  1. I had forgotten that you and Diana were companions in Tai Chung. Great story!

    Eloise

    ReplyDelete