Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday Again

Today was a particularly lovely Sunday. Our church services were very good and very thought provoking. The messages were delivered well and I came away feeling very peaceful. Taking the time to ponder about spiritual things on the Sabbath is always a blessing to me.

I have a playlist on my IPod which I named "Sunday songs." Sometimes I find myself listening to it during the week as well when I need a calming influence or just need some time to ponder about things. One of the songs I have on there is by Andrea Bocelli. He sang it with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEplqV0scyo
It's the 'Lord's Prayer' and it is really beautiful.

One of the first prayers I ever remember learning was the 'Lord's Prayer'. The nuns taught it to me when I was a very little girl. The Savior meant it as a pattern of a prayer for us to follow when we say our own prayers. When thought of as a pattern of how we can pray, it takes on a whole new dimension. Hearing it sung so reverently by the choir and Bocelli is very uplifting.

Many years ago, Jim gave me one of Andrea Bocelli's CD's for Mother's Day. It was his Sogno CD. That started  me on a journey of enjoying his singing immensely. He is from Italy and he sings a lot of his songs (most of them actually), in Italian. I do not know any Italian. I just loved to listen to them anyway and I would imagine he was singing this or that as I would listen. I think his 'Lord's Prayer' with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is my favorite of all his songs.

Pondering is a good thing for all of us. For me especially. I like this scripture:  
"Ponder the path of thy feet." Proverbs 4:26

I have been doing that very thing this week. I have been considering what "path" my feet should take next in my life. I have been pondering it all week and have prayed about it as well. I have been considering the possibility of pursuing a Master's degree in Public Health. But I am not so sure now. Today someone talked a little bit about Peter, the chief apostle. He said something that struck me pretty deeply. He said after the Savior died that Peter went back to fishing. That's where the Lord appeared to the disciples after He was resurrected, on the shore... while the disciples were out in a boat trying to catch fish without any luck. He said the Lord talked to Peter from the shore after Peter swam from the boat to meet him. He summed up in essence what the Savior was trying to get across to Peter,"Peter, you don't need to be fishing anymore." Now that's not in the scriptures and that's not how the conversation really went but it was a really good way to put it. The Lord had called Peter long before this time and Peter just needed to be redirected again to what the Lord had called him to...His work.

As much as I love medicine, health, and all things medicine related and having had the opportunity to work in a field I love as an R.N.... I don't think that's what I need to be doing anymore. Somewhere deep in my heart, I think doing God's work in some way, shape, or form is what I need to be doing. And what I want to do.

How and what is the question.

So I ponder.

And I'll ponder some more until I figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment