Saturday, February 5, 2011

50 Year Missionary Celebration In Taiwan

I received an e-mail yesterday with a link of a YouTube video about the 50 year history of the Church in Taiwan. It was very, very touching. This was compiled since the 50 year celebration which was held a few years ago. I watched it a couple of times. It starts out with a little history of the Church in general for a few minutes and then proceeds with the history of the very first missionaries sent to Taiwan. There are a lot of pictures and it goes very fast. I was interested to see the clip of the picture of the ground breaking ceremony of the Temple in Taiwan. At 10:00 minutes exactly into the video, it shows a picture of the meeting for the groundbreaking ceremony. I was there then and I remember sitting in that audience. It was such an amazing time to be a missionary there. There were a lot of pictures of chapels that amazed me. To see the growth that has taken place in Taiwan is truly astounding. At 17:11 in to the video it shows a picture of my first mission president, President Baker and his family. Then at 17:13 (the next picture) it shows my second mission president, President Miner. At 12:24 in, it shows the Taichung chapel where I  served. At 12:59 in it showed the Kaohsiung Chapel where I served and at 13:07 in, the Pingtung chapel where I also served. It was great to see them again.

I am pleased to say that I could read a majority of the characters written on the pictures. Of course, I don't say all because that's just the way it is with reading characters for me. I take what I can get and I generally understand the gist of what's going on. But I could read a majority, maybe 70-75% or so. The rest I would have to look up.

I loved seeing the part where it shows the Book of Mormon in Chinese. My Chinese Book of Mormon reading continues to get better all the time. I recently discovered the Gospel Principles manual online with a downloadable matching Chinese audio mp3 file. I downloaded that to my I Pod and I find it very helpful to listen to that while reading the Gospel Principles manual in English. I love the Gospel Principles manual as that was the book I read in its entirety before I joined the Church. It is a great book to learn about the basics of the Church.
http://lds.org/manual/gospel-principles?lang=eng 
This is the Chinese language counterpart link to it:
http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,8865-1-4828-10,00.html
I suspect that if I keep doing this, my Chinese will improve more. Anyone who studies Chinese will tell you that you just have to keep on going  and keep on going in your language studies. Living in the country is the only way to really become proficient.

Anyway, the 'Preaching the Gospel in Taiwan' video is just a great YouTube clip. I loved it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-h-444Cp88

1 comment:

  1. This is great! It made me nostalgic. I posted it on Facebook.
    Eloise

    ReplyDelete