Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Bike/Motorcycle Mishap

Today is Chinese New Year 2011. 新年快樂。 恭喜你們!  Xīnnián kuàilè. Gōngxǐ nǐmen﹗(Happy New Year's. Congratulations to all!). In essence it's a congratulations that you made it to another year. This year is the year of the rabbit.

Making it to a new year is a great thing as the Chinese value long life. I looked through my mission journal and found yet another entry where I almost didn't make it through that new year. It was Chinese New Year's Day 1983, February 13th. My time was just not up yet I guess. :) Read on:

"Today is the Chinese New Year. We were woken up at 6 am by the sound of loud firecrackers that persisted most of the day....About 4:30 we decided to go to the park. On the way to the park I was in an accident. We were riding along and my companion pointed to a hospital and I was riding along but looking at it (remember-I really like hospitals as I mentioned the other day). When I looked straight again I was on top of her tire and I knew I would fall over. As I fell, I really busted up my knee but the scary thing was that as I fell, a motorcycle was right behind me. I heard a girl scream who was on the motorcycle and it hit my head as it went passed me, I think it was their tire. (We didn't wear bike helmets in those days-eeesh). All I know is I was scared. For a split second as it was happening and I knew I was in the middle of the road and the motorcycle was hitting my head as it went passed-I thought to myself, "I could get seriously hurt." (Reading back in my journal makes me laugh sometimes. Duh, you think?) I got right up. I ripped the arm out of my coat a bit. Three buttons popped off my coat due to the impact of the fall. My ribcage hurt and my brand new stockings had a big hole in the knee and my left knee was all bloody but I realized I was OK. (Congratulations, I made it to a new year it seems). My companion was real nervous and I was shaky but I stood there and knew I had been protected. That motorcycle could have taken my head with it or ran over me...I've had many trials on my mission. I was almost killed by a train last year but the Lord has been protecting me." Thank goodness.

I'm going to have to get around to telling that train story one day soon.

So for anyone who wonders what is so special about today...
Congratulations! 
You made it to another year!

新年快樂!
2011
Year of the Rabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment