Monday, February 7, 2011

Checking In

I usually send Ian e-mail on Sunday. Being the typical 'verbal' woman that I am, I usually try to cover the week in some depth. I try to make it interesting. Yesterday, I wrote four questions as follows:

"How is your companion?

How is your apartment?

Is the food still good?

Did you get the package yet?"


I spaced them out and wrote them succinctly as if to say, "write something about these things..." This is what I got in response today:

"Dear Family,

Another baptism this week, what a blessing. Other than this, not much to report this week. This Wednesday however we will have interviews with the president. I am very much looking forward it. All things are well here...It is not so crazy hot here and about every other day, we get some decent cloud cover or a bit of rain. Some info for mom: Food is still good, companion is good, apartment is fine, a bit dirty, but we are going to give it a good cleaning today, no package yet."

 Notice how he answered the questions. Short, concise, to the point. I was looking for a little bit of a conversation. I had already assumed that the food, companion, and apartment were OK because he hasn't mentioned them yet in regards to his new area. I was hoping for some elaboration on those subjects. Ian being a male, assumed I was asking the question as a matter of survival. Next week I might have to say something like, "I only want to know one thing...Tell me about your companion." We'll have to see if that strategy works.

He did also write the following as well as a few other things...

"Recently I have been thinking a lot about my purpose here as a missionary. What the Lord wants of me, what kind of attitude that I should have toward the work, how I teach, how I help people, how I work with companions and so forth...I have no doubt that what I am doing is right, and that it will bless my life and the lives of some others immensely. I know that the Lord loves me and that He is guiding me. I can usually feel it in the moment, but looking back it is always so obvious...I bear my testimony that Jesus Christ is our savior and redeemer, that through His eternal sacrifice we can return to live with our Heavenly Father one day. I bear my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I love that book. I know it is true. I know that if we read it and study it every day we will be incredibly blessed. I love you all. Sorry for the short email and the relative lack of info, but these are the things I have been thinking about this week. I love you and hope you all have a great week."

Oh well, I'll just have to wait another week. I'm glad he is doing well.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Kyle when I ask him about his day at school! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but he DID talk about what's going on in his life and heart!! It's just that he didn't answer the questions you ASKED, just the ones you DIDN'T ask. He's a good kid who loves his mother, and is talking to her about what he's thinking about.

    ReplyDelete