Sunday, February 6, 2011

Friends

Many years ago, a dear friend hurt me very badly. The hurt and the pain was intentional on their part. I was devastated by the pain for a long time. I never could figure out how someone could wake up in the morning with any kind of desire to hurt someone else.

It took a long time to heal from that hurt. Few people ever knew the depth of my pain. I'm not the kind of person that likes to share such personal things so for the most part, only a few people ever knew. But God knew.

I ran across a quote during that time which read, "Friends...are those people who know the words to the song in your heart and sing them back to you when you have forgotten the words." I have thought of that quote from time to time over the years. I think everybody has times when they need a friend to remind them of who they really are and how much they are truly cared about. Sometimes we just have to help people remember.

I was at a church meeting this afternoon. We sang the hymn, "There is Sunshine in My Soul Today." It's a fast paced cheery song. There was one phrase of the song that jumped out at me. I've sung that song many times over the years but this is the first time this particular phrase touched me deeply:

"There is music in my soul today,
A carol to my King,
And Jesus, listening, can hear
The songs I cannot sing."


I thought about that quote again today, but differently than I have ever thought about it before.

In John 15:14 it says, "Ye are my friends..." I remembered back to that very bad time in my life. It was the Savior who knew all along the words to the song in my heart. He knew I was so troubled that I needed help. He reminded me ever so gently in countless, kind ways and took care of me until I could sing them again myself.

There is a song I heard during that particularly troubling time. A woman in my ward who was trained in opera sang it. She didn't sing it in opera fashion that day but she sang it with tremendous conviction and power. It was particularly helpful to me. Here is a different rendition of it that I found on YouTube. It's called "On Eagle's Wings."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rRea9qnjK4

It is taken from Psalms 91.

"I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust. Surely He shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust: His truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday...He shall give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands...Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him...With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation."

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for the hurt you have suffered. I can't understand how people can set out to hurt another. I am dealing with a very difficult situation in my ward that I have dealt with for years but it keeps coming back in different incarnations. How does one handle extremely difficult people in the way Christ would want? I fasted about it yesterday and sought counsel from a trusted sister in my presidency. I think I know what is the right thing to do but it will NOT be easy. I know the Lord will help me through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I never know what I am going to write and that post is just what seemed to come out of me yesterday.

    One thing I have learned from all of this is that if you always choose to treat people kindly no matter what they have done to you, you have no regrets about your own behavior as the years go by. That is a good feeling. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete