Friday, February 4, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom

My mothers turns 74 today. She is still working full time but is actually planning to retire at the end of March. She says she has worked since she was 14 years old. She is a secretary at the University of Utah.
 1984
My Mom always worked that I remember. I never remember when she didn't work full time when I was growing up. When I was little, she worked as a waitress in Howard Johnson's restaurant. I remember my Dad would bring us there to eat sometimes while she was working and she would serve us dinner or he would take us take us to the ice cream bar portion of the restaurant and she would serve us ice cream cones. My favorite was when she would bring us these little chocolate/vanilla swirl lollipops from the restaurant. She tells the funny story of the weekend that Woodstock 1969 happened. Howard Johnson's restaurant and hotel was only a few miles from that historic event and it was about the only public restaurant for quite a distance. My Mom said they didn't know what was happening that whole weekend but she said a bunch of very dirty people kept coming in to use their rest rooms and they couldn't figure out why there were so many of them. That's a story you just don't hear when you hear of Woodstock. When you look at the classic pictures from that weekend, you can imagine why she described them that way. :) It was a rainy, muddy weekend if I remember correctly. I was only nine years old then.

Me, Freddie, Bernadette
outside Howard Johnson's
Obviously the sun was in our eyes.

Later on after her waitress days, my Mom became a secretary for the board of education office in our town for a number of years. It was my job in junior high and high school many times to do all of the laundry for our family of seven. That was a lot of laundry. I was also assigned the task of ironing I remember. That was a lot of ironing. When I was in junior high and high school I was assigned to cook dinner or get dinner started many days while my Mom was at work. My Mom would tell me how to cook something over the phone from work. I made a lot of terrible meals. We always ate at 5:00.

This will be the last working year of my Mom's life. Wow. She did have a slight hiatus two or three years ago to help care for my Dad when his health failed. I remember she had a hard time with the lack of working routine. Hopefully she will find something useful to do in retirement. She has boundless energy and I'm sure that will be no problem.

What mother doesn't thrill to see the pictures of her children? So in honor of her birthday, I will post a few as a birthday thought.

Me age 2 perhaps
Freddie, me, Bernadette.
My grandmother Caroline (my Dad's Mom)
me, Bernadette, Freddie, 
my Aunt Louise (my Mom's only sister),
and Nanny (my Mom's mom).
Fred and me on a snowbank.
Why does the song "Let Us In" come to mind? :)
My mother always dressed us up for Easter.
One of my favorites.
Me age 7 maybe.
Freddie & Bernadette
Rob & Sue
My brother Rob
Me, Bernadette, Sue, and Fred
My Mom with Elisa (baby) and 
Amber age 2 1/2 (Sue's daughter).

And if they were still with us, I'm sure they would say...

Happy Birthday Mom
Love You,
Rob
Happy Birthday Ang
All my love,
Fred

4 comments:

  1. I love these pictures! The ones of Rob and your dad brought tears to my eyes - that's exactly how I remember them. Please give your mom my best wishes for a belated happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do.

    That picture of Rob was taken right before his induction chemo. He never looked the same after that. Miss him.

    One of these days I'll do a post about me and you. I have some good pictures of us. We'll see. I have a number of things I want to blog about in the next year and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sitting here quietly crying looking at photos of Robert.....he was so handsome, and your dad, a great guy, always looked up to him, always somewhat afraid of him. Looking at his photo now, I'm wondering....what was to be afraid of?? p.s. ~ you were soooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aunt Louise. I love the one of you, Grandma, and Nanny. Thanks for always being so good to me.

    ReplyDelete