Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Deer

The other night I was up at 3:00 in the morning. Actually I was up from about 2:00 until 4:30 in the morning but that's another story.

I went and sat on my window seat for a while. There just a few feet in front of me was a doe, all bedded down like you see in the movie Bambi.

She was just chomping away on my grape vine. A few feet away from her was another doe also just lying about as though my yard was their nightly hang out place. I took a few pictures but they didn't come out, otherwise I would have posted them.

I'll never forget a few years ago when it was time for hunting season, I read an article in the paper about men who were getting ready for the big hunt. The article talked about the best locations to hunt, the importance of wearing the hunter's orange color, and the outlook for the hunt. I was somewhat flabbergasted by the whole thing. I decided to write the newspaper and the author of the article. I told him that his entire article made no sense to me and that if he really wanted to help his readers, he should just give them my address. I told him to tell all the excited hunters that they could easily find at least one deer, most oftentimes three or more, on any given night in my backyard. You can even find them during the day. One time I looked out my kitchen window and a doe had bedded down in the middle of the day under the bush right by my front door.
I have gone outside on more than one occasion and told the deer in no uncertain terms to leave. Yes, I talk to the deer, sometimes yell at them actually. Sometimes they run. Sometimes they just stand there and look at me as though to say, "yeah right lady." Why would they leave? They know exactly where my flowers, tomato plants, grape vines, bushes, and other edibles are. This is their domain. I merely live here inside.

I told the newspaper reporter that he owed it to his readers to really tell it like it was. He never followed up. :)

I figured out later that hunters actually are not really interested in the deer. I figured they must just like to dress up in orange, sit in the cold snow for a long time, and tell stories about "the one that got away."

If they were really serious hunters, they would just show up at my house!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment