Monday, March 28, 2011

Missions Are Not Always Easy

Reading between the lines, I can tell that Ian is struggling a bit. Missions sometimes wear on you and the feeling of being discouraged is very real and very overwhelming.


"Dearest Family,                                                               

This week was a long one. Things really aren’t so bad I think, they are a lot better then they could be... I am trying to be optimistic.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FATHER! (Yesterday) I like Dad because I not only got a pretty good set of genes from him, but I am ever so grateful for his example. I see bits of him in me and in my work, and it is a great blessing. I got a bit of his patience, which I think is helping me more than anything on my mission. I am grateful for his faithful dedication. I am grateful for the way in which he taught me to always think about how my actions will affect other people and to think about other people first and to put my desires in second place, especially when it comes to my priesthood responsibilities.

I am ever so grateful for all your prayers and your help and your uplifting emails and letters. They are a great blessing. I am so grateful to be a member of the church. When I think of how much the church has blessed my life and my family I stand in awe. I am so grateful for my family, I don’t know what I ever did to deserve such a wonderful family, but my family has make all the difference in my life..." 

Two years is really a long time. He is entering that "middle" period of his mission where you can't see the beginning and you can't see the end and sometimes the middle just looks overwhelming. It is the reality of a missionary's life. He mentioned that he is really looking forward to General Conference this weekend. I have no doubt that it will give him a boost that he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment