Friday, April 1, 2011

Ears To Hear?

Last Sunday we reviewed some of the Lord's parables in Sunday School. I kept thinking about one of the scriptures from Matthew 13:9 "Who hath ears to hear, let him hear." I pondered that several times this week knowing that sometimes people simply refuse to hear. I have thought about that a lot this week actually.  I wondered why some people choose to refuse to hear. I listened to a talk by Elder Maxwell yesterday and he mentioned the same thing. It struck me as he was talking that he referenced meekness or humility as key. Why would anyone listen or want to hear if they just couldn't be bothered? I guess you have to want to be bothered to hear the word of the Lord and that takes humility.

This morning I was reading in both John 10 (New Testament) and Mosiah 5 (Book of Mormon), the two chapters that just happened to be next up for my daily scripture reading. It was so interesting to me that in John 10, Christ said, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27. And this one: "He that will hear my voice, shall be my sheep..." Mosiah 26:21. King Benjamin said, (referring to a large general conference) "for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view." Mosiah 2:9 Then I read this last scripture, "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice OR by the voice of my servants, it is the same." D&C 1:38 
That thread of thought is pretty clear.  Christ has sheep (us). He calls us (either himself or through his servants). He uses his voice (or the voice of his servants, but the voice is the same). It requires humility to want to hear.  Then it requires further humility to follow. Much to think about. That said, I am looking forward to General Conference this weekend.


Links:  
Conference Participation Brings Blessings, First Presidency Says

http://lds.org/church/events/181st-general-conference-of-the-church?lang=eng 

I've got ears. Anyone who knows me knows they don't work so well because of my hearing loss, but I'll be using them anyway to hear with my ears. With my heart, I will apply understanding to what I hear. And then I will follow because I want to. How could I ever choose to miss the Lord calling me or speaking to me? Now that would be a true hearing loss...

No comments:

Post a Comment