Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter Preparation

When I was a child, there was much we did to prepare for Easter outwardly. Easter celebrations were always very sweet to me and very important.

Now that I am older and my children are mostly gone, there are not many outward preparations left for me to do. Each year it seems that there is less and less to do. I do however continue my Easter preparations in my heart. I think about and ponder about what this Easter week means. I think about what Christians the world over do in preparation and celebration to remember the most important event in the history of this world.

I reflected upon these things  in my prayers this morning and what I used to do as a child, as a young adult, as a young mother, and now as a middle aged woman. I thought about the fact that the feelings in my heart are the same as they always have been, yet my understanding and consideration of Easter have deepened so much over the years. When I was of elementary school age, I always set aside time on what is known as Good Friday to ponder the events of our Savior's atonement and death. Today I did the same thing, some forty years later. I have reviewed those events in my mind, studied about them, and thought about what they mean for me. I am as touched now by those events and Christ's love for me as I was as a child. My love for the Lord and gratitude for Him is the same now as it was when I was a girl. He knows I am devoted to Him. I have always been thus and pray that I will always be so.

Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is always there for us. His goodness is always near us. It is we who have to make time to remember Him and what He has done for us and reach out to Him.

http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/his-life-and-teachings/articles/the-atonement-of-jesus-christ

No comments:

Post a Comment