Monday, April 18, 2011

Rebellion In The Ranks

So it seems that there is rebellion in the ranks and three people commented that they did not like the idea of me taking a blog hiatus...so....you win....I'll blog you silly people. :)


A few things. My new friend from China came to church yesterday and she is quite delightful. She mentioned that she never went to church before last week and that she had never heard about religion either. Yesterday she sat in church next to me and I realized that she started singing the hymns with me. I was particularly touched to hear her sing all four verses of "I Believe in Christ" which was the closing song. I don't think I'll ever be able to hear that song again without thinking of that experience. I believe she was learning about Christ as she was singing that hymn. What an amazing experience.


It sounds like Ian is doing better now too. This is from today's e-mail:


"Dearest Beloved Beautiful Family, (got to love that greeting)

It has been one crazy week, and it feels like forever since the last p-day, but things are now returning to normal. So I don´t know the best way to tell you all everything that has happened so I guess I will just start at the beginning. Monday morning we left the apartment to take my companion to the bus station to leave for Londrina, I still didn´t know about transfers yet though, we just knew that my companion was leaving. I was already planning on staying one night with the other elders while waiting for my new companion to arrive so I had a few things with me but when we got to the bus station I found out that I would be going to another city that is about 3.5 hours away to accompany some elders doing transfers. I thought, alright, no problem, I thought that I would get back still get back on Tuesday, just a little bit later. The next day I found out that I would actually spend the night in the other city with the other elders and only return the next day. So I went to the other city and spent the whole day in the bus station waiting for elders. The next day we returned to the bus station, and our bus was supposed to leave at 1:30, but when we got there we went to the company (they have many different ones that all leave from the same bus station) our tickets weren't there, so we went to the others. Finally we found out that it was at a different bus company, but that we should have left at 7:50 that morning, but they said that they had another bus leaving at 3:40 and that we could take that one. While waiting at the airport, we talked to a few people. I was trying to call back to Prudente to talk to some members to organize rides for the new elders.  We got yelled at by a drunk who after finding out that I was of Italian decent, started yelling that it was the Romans who killed Christ and NOT the Jews, and that we needed to read more. Lots of fun stuff. We then got on the bus which was the weirdest bus that I have ever ridden in my life and it took 5 hours to get back. We finally got back at about 9:00 that night so we had to sleep in the house of the other elders house again. The next morning we went back our apartment and after unpacking and organizing we had time to teach one lesson before returning to the other elders' house to sleep that night. The next morning a van came to pick us up at 5:20 and take us back to THE SAME city where I was for zone conference. We spent the day there for zone conference and only got back to Prudente at 9:30, so we had to sleep with in the other elders apartment again. Finally on Saturday night I got to sleep in my own bed again for the first time in about a week. I am out of time again and I have much more to tell you but it will have to wait for next week. I am now with my new companion, a short little Brazilian who is awesome. Things are much much better and we are working hard. I will probably call you guys with Skype. The church is true and I love you all immensely."



OK, I have read this twice and I am still confused by all the bus station adventures and sleeping in various places saga. He sounds good though and sounds like he is on an upswing. Thank goodness! And he'll get to call home in a few weeks for Mother's Day. Thank goodness again.

1 comment:

  1. THAT'S more like it!! Keep it coming! So pleased that Ian is doing better. Such hard things, missions.

    ReplyDelete