Sunday, May 22, 2011

Part Three: Summary Thoughts

It has been a long day today but I have a few thoughts I want to write before I go to bed.

Our Sunday School lesson today was about the parables of the lost coin, the lost sheep, and the prodigal son from the book of Luke in the New Testament. I was thinking about the excellent discussion we had about these parables as we went into Sacrament Meeting after Sunday School. I started to think about the value of finding lost things. Then I remembered how I thought Ian was lost once. He was somewhere between 8-10 years old I think. It was summertime and it was at night. Ian was nowhere to be found. I was unaware that he went somewhere with the neighbors. He was fine the whole time and he returned safely. I'm not sure how I didn't know about this, it must have been a miscommunication of some sort. When I realized he was gone and after I had scoured the neighborhood looking for him, I did what most people would have done-I called the police. I remember being quite upset as I called them. The person on the other end of the phone asked for identifying information and then asked me if Ian had any scars that might identify him. It took me a few seconds to think because I was upset and then I started to cry. I told them he had a very large scar on his left arm from the skin graft surgery. As I told this to the person asking me the question, a peace came over me. If something was really wrong I thought, I knew that Ian could be easily identified by his scar. The scar went the length of the left arm from the shoulder to the wrist. I knew in that moment that one way or another, Ian would be found and knowing he had that identifying scar somehow gave me comfort. He came home shortly after that and of course, all was well .

I thought about Ian's identifying scar during church today. Scars are usually ugly blights of some sort. Scars usually come because there has been some sort of accident, problem, or surgery. People usually try to cover them up, get them excised out, reduce their appearance with scar minimizing ointments, or other treatments but generally a scar is a reminder that there has been a problem.

As I thought about this, I thought about the scars I have had. I wasn't thinking about visible scars although I certainly have my share of those. Rather, I was thinking about my invisible scars known only to me and the Lord. Nobody makes it through life without a scar or two or in some cases, many scars of one kind or another. Emotional scars come because of some sort of trauma or problem. Sometimes we wear them on our sleeve for all to see but many times, we simply carry them around silently. They are known to the Lord however and really are our identifying scars. Just like I had peace that once I understood that Ian's very large identifying scar would be a help to the police and he would be OK; my personal scars are one of the ways the Lord identifies me and because of that, I too am OK and I will be OK. I hope that in most if not all cases, those scars had been the result of something that hurt me enough that they required healing. For the ultimate healing, I have turned to the Lord. He has healed me many times over. He knows my scars and I know He healed them. They are one very personal way I am known to the Lord.

Jesus had scars too. He had scars from wounds in his hands...scars from wounds in his feet...and a large scar from a wound in His side. He knows all about wounds and scars, broken hearts, physical and emotional pain, and certainly all about rejection. The scriptures tell us that when Christ comes again, He will stand on the Mount of Olives "And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends." Zechariah 13:6 

Those are the deepest scars of all I suppose.

Christ understands the significance of wounds and scars. His scars however are there as peaceful reminders to us that no matter what, all will be OK in the end BECAUSE of his wounds and scars, the results of the manner in which He suffered for us.

Sometimes pain and hurt and scars are OK if they inevitably lead us to the Savior. 

"Then shall they know that I am the Lord; for I will say unto them: These are the wounds with which I was wounded in the house of my friends. I am he who was lifted up. I am Jesus that was crucified. I am the Son of God." Doctrine and Covenants 45:52

I am grateful the Lord died for me and I'm sorry about His wounds and scars on my behalf. Just my Sunday thoughts for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment