Monday, October 3, 2011

"After The Manner Of Happiness"

There's a scripture from the Book of Mormon that keeps running through my mind this morning.

"And it came to pass that we lived 
after the manner of happiness."
2 Nephi 5:27
I contemplated that scripture as I walked around the grounds of the Temple and church office building downtown looking at all the flowers before they get pulled up to make way for the spring bulbs. They were very beautiful and so lush. There is so much truth to to that scripture. We have had so many hard things in our life to deal with, some of which I thought would do us in sometimes because of the magnitude of trial, but by and large this scripture reflects the result of many years of trying to live the gospel of Jesus Christ. Somehow because of Christ, all those sorrows have been swallowed up by His love for us and the cumulative result is joy and peace. I am so grateful for that.

Ian sent a voice message this morning. He expressed joy in being able to serve God as a missionary "to give back a little bit for all that God has given me in my life." He said, "We are doing a very important work here...God is working with us. "He said, "I know that our family has been incredibly blessed by the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ restored to the earth and the Church of Jesus Christ, I know we have been incredibly blessed."

In his e-mail he said, "Mom, I miss your spaghetti and meatballs." About watching Conference he said, "I am pretty well convinced that General Conference is one of the best things ever as a missionary...I know that Jesus Christ is the light and the life of the world, our Savior and Redeemer."
 How do you thank God enough for a son
who is willing to serve like this?

I also got an e-mail from my Mom this morning posted by my brother Rob's wife on Facebook. It brought tears to my eyes for sure. It is a picture of my nephew Jonathan (Rob's son) in the MTC somehow overlaid onto a photo of my brother Rob when he was also 19.  Rob served a mission to Montana. The likeness is astounding. I love the word rescue under Jonathan's picture with Rob in the backseat of the plane. I can't help but believe that Jonathan will very much have the help of my brother while on his mission and he will watch over him. Rob will be gone 11 years on the 6th. I can still see Jonathan weeping at Rob's coffin. He just stayed there for a long, long time and no one disturbed him. This picture is really so tender.

My brother and I were baptized on the same day, sealed to our parents on the same day in the Washington DC Temple and now both have sons serving the Lord as missionaries and our mother also serves as a missionary.

Like I said, despite the trials and heartaches, nevertheless...
 
"And it came to pass that we lived 
after the manner of happiness."
2 Nephi 5:27

No comments:

Post a Comment