Friday, October 14, 2011

Good Poetry, Beautiful Scenery


This was from our trip last year this time.
This is Robert Frost's grave.

 Reluctance

"Out through the fields and the woods 
And over the walls I have wended; 
I have climbed the hills of view 
And looked at the world, and descended; 
I have come by the highway home, 
And lo, it is ended. 
The leaves are all dead on the ground, 
Save those that the oak is keeping 
To ravel them one by one 
And let them go scraping and creeping 
Out over the crusted snow, 
When others are sleeping. 
And the dead leaves lie huddled and still, 
No longer blown hither and thither; 
The last lone aster is gone; 
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither; 
The heart is still aching to seek, 
But the feet question 'Whither?' 
Ah, when to the heart of man 
Was it ever less than a treason 
To go with the drift of things, 
To yield with a grace to reason, 
And bow and accept the end 
Of a love or a season?"
Robert Frost

I can't help but think that Robert Frost must have loved the autumn leaves as much as me.
He lived where the autumn splendor is just breath-taking.
This is the entrance to the cemetery
he is buried in in Bennigton, Vermont.
Bennington is beautiful this time of year.
This was the little path into the cemetery.

The Road not Taken

    "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, 
    And sorry I could not travel both 
    And be one traveller, long I stood 
    And looked down one as far as I could 
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;
    Then took the other, as just as fair, 
    And having perhaps the better claim, 
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear; 
    Though as for that the passing there 
    Had worn them really about the same,
    And both that morning equally lay 
    In leaves no step had trodden black. 
    Oh, I kept the first for another day! 
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way, 
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh 
    Somewhere ages and ages hence: 
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— 
    I took the one less traveled by, 
    And that has made all the difference."
    Robert Frost
    I feel the same way.


2 comments:

  1. I love Robert Frost and I think it is so neat you stopped at his grave when you were back east. It did my heart good to hear his poems today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a great season and his poems make it all the better.

    ReplyDelete