Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Belated Wish

I woke up at 4:15 this morning. I read my scriptures for a while and then I decided to go downstairs and do a little morning exercise on the treadmill. I found a card on the kitchen counter waiting for me. It was a belated birthday card from Seth. I read what he wrote and I couldn't even see it because huge tears obscured my vision. I read one of the most heartfelt, kind sentiments a mother could receive from a child. I will write this one for my posterity so they know that motherhood is important and worth every sacrifice.

"Dear Mom,

I'm sorry I didn't give this card on your birthday and that I have been so busy lately. I want you to know that I love you with all my heart. I am grateful you have taught me like the mothers of the strippling warriors (Alma 53:20-21) in the Book of Mormon. I owe my testimony and my good traits (like love for others) to you. You made me who I am. I am grateful that you raised me up to the Lord and gave me a love for the scriptures. Dearest Mother, I cannot convey all what you have done for me, for it is too much. Thank you and I love you and I hope I can bring you joy.

Seth"

I took the pink envelope that was with the card but not written on and wrote back:

" Dear Son,
A mother's gift is a loving child who loves truth and honors God.
Thank you,
Mom"

Then I made him bacon and eggs.

My husband is not left out of the picture here because we have raised our children together and have been one in purpose.

Motherhood is one of those blessings in life in which sometimes delayed blessings are the greatest of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment