Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Good Books

I just finished reading Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng. It was a wonderful, albeit sad, book about the Cultural Revolution in China in the late 60's and early 70's. The author was wrongfully imprisoned for 6 1/2 years and she gives an account of China during that time which is very eye-opening.

Currently I am reading Lincoln by David Herbert Donald. I love American history. So far, so good. I think one of my favorite books has been 1776 by David McCullough. I also really liked his John Adams as well.

Happy reading.

2 comments:

  1. I actually got to meet Nien Cheng when she came to speak at George Mason University in 1989. She was a very lovely, gracious lady and she autographed my copy of "Life and Death in Shanghai." Wonderful book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that was great. It sure was an eye opening experience for me to read the book. I know she moved to DC before she died. I've been thinking about the book for a few days, sad but amazing too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete