Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ice Skating

As I look out the window I see that we are having a huge snowstorm. The weathermen said we would only get a trace of snow. Hmmmmm. It brought back a memory of the many times I went ice skating as a kid and as a teenager during the cold, snowy upstate New York winters. I remember going to several different ponds in my city with my brother and sister. I don't remember going to formal ice rinks like we have today, there weren't any that I remember. The ice on the ponds was never smooth, there were always bumps and I remember falling a lot. They were pretty though, surrounded by bare trees. We would bundle up, walk all over the place to get to these ponds and skate for hours in the cold. My brother was always so fast. Nothing scared him. Because they were ponds, there was nothing to hold onto to get you out on the ice and nothing to hold on to when you fell. I sure went skating a lot. We also went sledding a lot. I loved sledding. I remember spending entire days on the hill in the park sledding until we were too wet and cold to move anymore. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment