Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I Don't Know If It's Good Or Bad!

I needed to go to the fabric store this afternoon for some replacement buttons. As I was checking out, I noticed a sign that said that today was senior citizen discount days. If you were over 55, you would have received 15% off your entire purchase. I thought that was a good deal for the lucky old folks.

At the end of my order the checker said, "Let me see if you qualify for the senior citizens discount." I said, "I'm only 52 so I wouldn't." She said, "There, you got $2.12 off" or something like that. I said, "But I'm only 52." The checker turned a little red and apologized. She said, "My manager said that if the customer looked like they were 50 or older that I should apply the discount but I wasn't supposed to ask their age." I said, "Well, that's my first senior citizens discount!" She turned even redder and apologized some more and was chagrined at even bringing it up.

I left the store wondering if the whole exchange was good or bad. Getting a discount on anything is always good. Looking like a senior citizen is certainly bad... :)

Somehow these buttons are going to be a strange reminder for me of my foray into old age. :)

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you look that old.
    But, I would like to congratulate you on handling the exchange gracefully. I recall a time working, I believe, at that same store and I had a similar exchange with a woman who looked MUCH older than you. She was NOT happy when she told me that she was only 53 and did not receive the discount. So I'm sorry that you got the discount (or I'm not?), but I'm happy that you took it all in stride and didn't get irate with the poor checker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was horrified the first time I was asked if I wanted the senior citizen discount, but now at the age of 56, I relish it! Now I ask for it! Every dollar counts.

    ReplyDelete