Tuesday, March 20, 2012

More Thoughts About My Book

I have been trying to figure out what to do with the book I wrote. A few people have read it. By a few, I mean five that I know of that have read it completely. I know of four others who said they were going to read it, wanted to read it, started to read it...etc. etc. etc., but I never heard if they finished it or not. That's good feedback. If you can't finish it, then there is a reason for that. That feedback is useful in helping me to decide what to do with it. If four out of nine never got back to me about the end, then I should consider that seriously because the end was meaningful and important. If somebody gets lost getting there, hmmm...I need to work on that a little.

After many months of considering what to do, I have decided to self publish it. There are a few reasons for that decision:

 Number one: I have no desire to become a famous author. Knowing that makes one wonder what to do in that case.
Number two: The book should really be published in a normal format, in book form, to make it easy to read and accessible like a normal book.
Number three: Self-publishing is easy these days. As a matter of fact, I suspect in the future that many people will choose this option. If it looks like a book, feels like a book, has an ISBN like a book, can sit on a shelf like a book...then it's a book.
Number four:  I had something to write that only I could write from my perspective and experience. Publishers know what they are looking for, what will sell, readership expectations, etc. They publish according to those guidelines. Regardless of those things and whether or not they like the book has absolutely nothing to do with my thinking that I think my book should "look like" and "feel like" a real book. Hence, self-publishing is the logical solution.
Number five: I don't care about making money off my book.
Number six: If no one buys it, I don't care.
Number seven: I want to leave it in book form for my family.
Number eight: I'm not interested in promoting myself.
Number nine: The message of my book is specific. It targets a certain audience. I gave it to one person who falls in that category that said it was a great help to them. I need it in book form to give to others over the years who also fall into that same category.
Number ten: Emma says I should get it published.

Here's my plan: I intend to have it thoroughly edited. It needs thoughtful, careful editing. I will remove a few things and perhaps shorten it a little. Publishers care about length, etc., etc., etc., I don't. I care about the message. I would like to have it self published by the beginning of August. That's a good time frame. Self-publishing renders it an ISBN number. Before I end this blog around the beginning of September, I'll post a link to the book and leave this blog up on the web.

Those are my thoughts for today. I guess the moral of the story is that when you start writing a book, you have to figure out what to do with it. I think this is a good plan.

Thoughts anyone?

3 comments:

  1. Well, I was one of the 4 that didn't finish reading it...just because Roger's health has been so bad. But come to think of it, that's exactly why I SHOULD finish it!! And I will. But I wanted to let you know that Roger is in the process of developing an ebook business, and it is incredibly easy to self-publish as a Kindle ebook with Amazon. Your thoughts need to go out to more than just your kids...and printing it up for them is something that you can do locally, while your message of hope and healing can be electronicially transmitting around the world anytime by anyone. So once you get it edited (Kirsten is very good at that, by the way), let me know if you want some help self-publishing as an ebook. Love you Liz--you shine as an example even if you don't get feedback about it all the time. And I will miss your blog terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would very much like to read it. My guess is that it will help me greatly at this particular time in my life. I am so glad you are going to publish it! You are a treasure!
    Eloise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider it done...sort of. I'll make sure you both get a copy when it's all said and done.

    Thanks for the support. :)

    ReplyDelete