Sunday, March 18, 2012

"That's What I Love About Sundays"

There is a country song by that title where the guy singing is exuberant about all the things he likes about Sunday. I feel the same way sometimes even though my Sunday experience is different than the one he sings about.

I was very touched by a scripture someone made reference to today in a talk. It's a well known scripture and it always touches me and leaves me with a tender feeling in my heart.

"Surely he hath borne our griefs, 
and carried our sorrows
yet we did esteem him stricken, 
smitten of God, and afflicted...
he was wounded for our transgressions,
 he was bruised for our iniquities:
 the chastisement of our peace was upon him;
 and with his stripes we are healed."
 Isaiah 53:4-5

There's so much to ponder about when reading that scripture. Today I remembered how many times the Lord has borne my grief and carried my sorrow. I have experienced a lot of sorrow in my life for one reason or another. I have also had a lot of joy but sometimes I have experienced such overwhelming sorrow because of circumstances beyond my control that I know it is only because the Savior loves me and died for me that I can endure. I was particularly touched by the reminder that the peace that eventually comes after such overwhelming sorrow, comes because of what Christ did for me in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the cross at Calvary.

I am so grateful for Sundays for so many reasons. I am very, very grateful that there is a specific sabbath time we set aside to remember these saving, uplifting, healing truths.

No comments:

Post a Comment