Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bread, Jam, And Success Again...Sort Of

I went to a cooking class the other night. Our Relief Society decided to try a once a month cooking club idea to see if anyone had any interest. I've learned A LOT of things from Relief Society over the years. What a blessing it has been in my life for sure.

This class was on bread making. I've made many, many, many, many loaves of bread in my life. There was a time when my kids were small when I made bread all the time. I haven't made bread regularly for a long time now. My white bread and wheat bread recipes were really never very good, just passable really. I've wanted to try a 100% whole wheat bread recipe that tastes good that doesn't have any oil for a long time but haven't been able to come up with a decent recipe to date. One of the sisters in my Relief Society invited her Dad to come teach the class. She said he was a master baker. As it turns out, he owned a bread company for many years making about 14,000 loaves a day. I learned A LOT of very helpful stuff from this man. I listened intently and figured out that one of the major mistakes I was making was not measuring my dry ingredients accurately. I fudge a lot and he explained why that was bad. He also helped me to understand the process of gluten formation in a way that made sense.
 At any rate, SUCCESS!! 
This is hand's down, the best bread
 I have ever made and it was so simple.
I'll post the recipe and the instructions.
The recipe makes two loaves.
I was sitting on my deck reading the paper waiting for the bread to cool, when Seth brought me the camera and asked if I wanted to take pictures of him and his friends who all just happened to show up just as the bread came out of the oven. They like being on my blog.
They devoured one loaf in about five minutes and I told them I wanted to leave the other loaf for Jim and Elisa and that they should stop salivating that I'd make more soon!
They gave it a thumbs up. :)
With my new found bread making skills, 
I decided to double the recipe. 
Ooops, it was way too much for my mixer....
 but, after cleaning up a very big mess
I was rewarded with four very good, very healthy loaves of bread.
Success. :)

100% Whole Wheat Bread

Total time 2 ½ hours. Makes 2 loaves.

In the Bosch (or mixer), carefully measure and mix for a quick 10-15 seconds:
7 cups flour (Honeyville “wheat-o-life” whole wheat flour) (Other flour needs to be 13% protein or higher)
1 TBSP salt
1 TBSP plus 1 TSP SAF  instant yeast
Then add:
¾-cup honey
3 cups HOT water (mix the honey in the water and stir together then add to dry ingredients) 


Mix on speed # 2 for 8 minutes. (Dough temp should be between 90-110 degrees)

Remove dough from mixer. Divide into two equal portions; form into two firm balls, let rest covered for 15 minutes (for gluten to form).

Flatten each ball into a long rectangle-the width of the bread pan, roll dough into a tight a log and place in oiled pans.

Place covered bread in oven with oven light on to proof (raise) for 30-45 minutes or raise in a warm place.

Remove pans from oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes until browned. 

One of Elisa's friends also requested a favorite recipe I've made for years from the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. Everybody loves this recipe. Although the recipe calls for apricot jam, any favorite jam can be used. Homemade raspberry jam is delicious in this recipe and seems to be a favorite.

Apricot-Filled Oatmeal Bars 
1  1/2 cups flour
1  1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1  cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup butter
1 cup apricot jam ( or any favorite jam) Microwave it for 30 seconds to a minute for easy spreading.

Stir together flour, oats, brown sugar,and soda. Cut in slightly softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Pat 2/3 of the mixture in the bottom of an ungreased 13x9x2 baking pan. Spread on the jam. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 30.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe, Liz! Guess what. My 5-year-old, Megan, was playing PBS Kids computer games the other day. She looked so cute with her feet just swinging under the chair, not reaching the floor. Made me think of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, you CAN'T possibly be old enough to have a five year old of your own!!! You were just six years old when I taught YOUR computer class when you were in first grade and YOUR feet were swinging under the chair!!! Time flies Jill...one day soon your daughter will come home all grown up. Enjoy it while it lasts and enjoy the oatmeal bars!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO SO excited about these recipes! I am so glad you posted them! Thanks Liz!

    ReplyDelete