Monday, April 16, 2012

An Old Friend

I didn't get an e-mail from Ian today. I was so bummed about it I decided to take a walk in a park I haven't been to in a long time and haven't walked in for about a year. I had just started walking when I met an old friend I hadn't seen in about ten years. We spent the next hour walking and catching up. I told her I kept something she gave me ten years ago when I was having a particularly hard time about something. Everyone once in a while I see it and it reminds me of her kindnesses to me at a tough time in my life.

"Friends are those who know the words
 to the song in your heart and sing them back
 to you when you have forgotten the words."

That's a great saying and she did that for me once. We laughed together, we cried together, and agreed that it was one of those tender mercies God sends our way sometimes just to let us know He cares about us.

Funny thing here...as I was writing this post, Ian's e-mail came into my inbox. Strangely enough the time on the e-mail heading said "6 hours ago." How weird is that? Another tender mercy. It was a long e-mail WITH a picture. :) He sounds just fine.
"Dear Family,

I will try to repent for my short emails today and write a little bit more...
This week was very busy but it was one of the best weeks that week have had so far this transfer in terms of the amount of work we got done and good investigators...I know that this Church is true and that God loves us. This is His work and we are so blessed to able to help Him with it. I know that when we live the gospel it brings us joy. I know that Christ is our Savior." 

I left most of the e-mail out because it contains people's names and I want to respect their privacy but it was a good e-mail. Happy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment