Monday, May 14, 2012

A Fabulous Mother's Day!

I just can't put into words how wonderful Mother's Day was yesterday. The weather was fantastic, spending the day with my family was so wonderful, and the highlight of the day of course was getting to talk to Ian.
We had an awful lot of computer issues because of a bad microphone that left me scrambling for about an hour after I got home from church. When I finally resolved it I thought I'd take a few minutes nap before Ian called an hour later. No sooner did I close my eyes, he called an hour early!! Seth was napping, Jim wasn't home from church yet and it was a bit crazy so he decided to hang up and said he'd call back in a half hour later when Jim got home from doing his Bishop stuff. I frantically called Jim, he got home and we waited for another half hour!! FINALLY, the SKYPE call came through and even though the call dropped 3 or 4 times, we eventually got it back and we had a wonderful 40 minute conversation.
This is a bad screen shot but I have to say, Ian looks amazing. He was SO happy to talk to us as we were to talk to him!
He called from his mission president's home. We were able to SKYPE with his mission president who seems like a very wonderful, caring, and friendly man. He then went and found his wife who was in the kitchen making phone calls and making pizzas for the missionaries. She seems like a wonderful woman. She spoke Portuguese and we spoke English but Ian translated. She said over and over and over again "obrigado, obrigado, obrigado, obrigado, obrigado." That means "thank you" in Portuguese. Ian translated that she also said, "Thank you for sending us such a wonderful, prepared missionary." She seems like she is a wonderful woman.
We talked...
and talked...
and talked some more until 
it was time to say good bye.
Ian asked if we could all say a prayer before we hung up. Jim said the prayer and I opened my eyes to see that Ian bowed his head as Jim was praying. I couldn't help but reach out to touch my son's shoulder as we were praying, it was as close as I could get to him even if it was just a computer screen. Elisa apparently snapped a picture of me.

Ian sounds completely committed to finishing out his mission working hard. He's happy, he's healthy and he's a servant of the Lord. I will be happy to see him again but I know how hard it will be for him to leave his mission when his time comes to say good bye.

We had a wonderful Mother's Day dinner
 out on the back patio later on.
We had fabulous grilled salmon and 
a wonderful butternut squash risotto dish that Gregory made.
 Wade washed all my dishes for me. 
Two good son-in-laws. :) 
Emma made everyone happy just
by being so happy herself.
She asked what I wanted for Mother's day 
and I told her "time with Dad."
She gave me a movie gift certificate
and a welcome sign.
Very thoughtful.
Elisa spent a lot of time in the kitchen making food and preparing everything. She and Gregory were amazing. Gregory was in the kitchen for two hours preparing I think. He said he had a wonderful time. I finally napped on the couch for a few minutes while they were all in the kitchen fixing dinner. It was wonderful to nap while food was being prepared. It smelled so good. I never get to do that.
Gregory also always has very interesting stories to tell.
Nathan just loves the yard. A future soccer player maybe?
Elisa is a good aunt.
Seth was a bit tired from Senior Ball but we all had a good time.

Wade and Emma finally left about 10:20 as I spontaneously started to fall asleep. It was as lovely a Mother's Day as I can remember. Elisa, Sarah, and Emma were talking about how they would remember me in years to come. I said that all I wanted them to remember was that I loved them, I wanted them to feel my love for them, and I wanted them to be happy.

Happy day.
Happy me.

Thanks everyone. :)



2 comments:

  1. I seriously love all of you. I am so glad you got to video talk to Ian. Technology is SO COOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skyping your missionary son, WOW, HOW COOL! I remember the days of no emails, months before hearing from them when they first arrived in their mission, this is great, so glad you had a WONDERFUL day!

    ReplyDelete