Tuesday, July 17, 2012

So It Looks Like I'm Getting Published

It looks like tomorrow will be the publication date. I'll have to wait until tomorrow though to find out. I've been working on my book now for quite some time. I am self publishing it through CreateSpace. The whole process has been a good learning experience for me and very enjoyable. Gone are the days when you have to find a publisher willing to publish your book. When a publishing house's book sales lag after a while, they stop printing the book and it becomes no longer available. I opted to do most everything myself through CreateSpace. My book will be available on Amazon as a "POD." That means "Print on Demand." If someone wants to buy it, they click on the buy button, it gets printed and mailed off to them. It never goes "out of print" unless I officially retire it. I will also publish it for all forms of e-readers but that will take another week or two or so but that's in the works too.

I published a book when I was 17. I was editor-in-chief of my high school yearbook. I was responsible for most everything for that book from start to finish. It was a massive undertaking. I well remember the day I held that book in my hand. It was a wonderful experience. Because of that experience, I was not afraid to go this route at this time. My English teacher daughter Emma, edited this book for me. That really was no small task. She went over it with a fine tooth comb.  It was an awful task to say the least and and I edited it as well as many times as I could over the last year until I couldn't see straight. I liked the whole process of the cover design, choosing fonts, layout design, writing the blurbs, etc., etc., etc. It looks the way I want it to look. It was accepted for publication last week but I nixed that and fine tuned it some more. A finished copy is on its way to my house and should be here tomorrow. If I approve it, I tell them to go ahead and tomorrow becomes my publication date. Wow. Exciting and scary at the same time.

As I said once before, I have no desire to become a famous author nor am I interested in financial rewards. That's just not in my heart. I feel a little bad that I actually had to set a price for the book otherwise I couldn't get it published. I set a low price for it and we'll just see what happens.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go Liz!! I can't wait to get a copy for you to sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy Jo but it's the other way around...I'll get YOU the copy. See you next week at your baby shower!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS Liz, now that things are settling down around here, I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete