Sunday, August 5, 2012

A Bishop's Work Is Never Done

Jim left for church at 7:00 this morning. It's 3:30 in the afternoon and he's still not home. I've been to church and back and even had a nap since then. Watching my husband serve as bishop has been a tender experience. Yesterday he conducted a funeral for a wonderful man in our ward who passed away last Sunday. We went to visit that man and his wife last Sunday just a few hours before he passed away. That was a sweet experience. We visited with his wife again this week to check on her. She seems lost without her husband and my heart goes out to her.

After the wonderful funeral yesterday, Jim performed a marriage ceremony for a couple in our ward in the afternoon. It was small and simple but it was very sweet. He finally made it home by 4:15 or so and laid down to take a nap when someone called from the ward needing help on a move from our neighborhood. Without saying a word he got up from his "almost nap" and went to help for a short time. Then he came home and last evening we went to a ward social. We were both tired by that time.

Today I saw my husband doing what Bishops do. He was greeting people, helping people, interviewing people that need help and putting his arm around the brand new widow in our ward to offer her comfort. She's a tiny woman and she put her arm around him in return. They had their backs to me but it was a sweet and tender sight for me to see.

It is a gift to be able to see my husband's desire to do his "Duty to God." He's a quiet man who would like nothing more than to be in a quiet corner somewhere by himself. For these few short years however, that seems not to be his lot in life. He's a good example to me of quiet service. He helps many people and it's a blessing to me to see him serve. Last evening as we were coming home I said to him, "Just a few short years left to serve and then an eternity to think about what you have done and what you could have done." It was just my way of reminding him to keep serving.

Happy Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, he's a great Bishop, I loved serving with him!

    ReplyDelete