Thursday, August 16, 2012

New Directions

So many changes coming our way soon. Poor Ian doesn't know it yet but I've received several communications from one of his professors. Today I received an e-mail telling the students they have a homework assignment due on the first day of class. Ian gets home one week from today and only has three and a half days here...nothing like ALSO having to squeeze a homework assignment in there! Poor Ian. But only one week to go until he gets here!!

I've taken up swimming. I'm finding it is fabulous for my arthritis. Once a week seems like a minimum but twice a week would be wonderful if I can get there. Today I did the length of the 25 meter pool in 37 seconds. (the backstroke) Not bad for a 52 year old grandmother!

I also think I've stumbled upon something I've been wondering about for a while now...that MAJOR looming "elephant in the room" question...what am I going to do with the rest of my life?! 

I think I will become a CASA volunteer.

 http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301295/k.BE9A/Home.htm 

http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301309/k.9D58/Volunteering.htm

This seems to call to every part of my heart for many, many reasons. It seems to be something I probably always knew was there somewhere but I only found out about this opportunity yesterday. I love what my stake Relief Society president said a few months back in a talk she gave. She said, "If you don't have any children, go and find some." I think I did just that. :) I understand children and I have a special place in my heart for abused and neglected children. It's just there. It's always been there. God blessed me with a loving mother's heart and just because my children are all but gone, it's not the end of the good I can do for children.

 It looks like there's a wonderful path for me after all.

"Pursue some path, 
however narrow and crooked, 
in which you can walk with love..."
Henry David Thoreau




1 comment:

  1. That is a very neat looking program. So cool!

    ReplyDelete