Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Peace Amidst Tragedy

Watching the events of the bombings in Boston leaves many of us scratching our heads again. The acts of one or perhaps in this case, a few, were intended to rob people of their sense of peace. That's a sad comment about the world we live in...that the actions of a few can affect so many.

I am impressed by the words from our recent Conference: "We all long for peace. Peace is not just safety or lack of war, violence, conflict, and contention. Peace comes from knowing that the Savior knows who we are and knows that we have faith in Him, love Him, and keep His commandments, even and especially amid life’s devastating trials and tragedies" Elder Quentin L. Cook.

He also said "Remember, “God is not the author of confusion, but [the author] of peace.” For those who reject God, there is no peace. We all participated in the councils of heaven that provided for moral agency, knowing that there would be mortal pain and even unspeakable tragedy because of the abuse of agency. We understood that this could leave us angry, bewildered, defenseless, and vulnerable. But we also knew that the Savior’s Atonement would overcome and compensate for all of the unfairness of mortal life and bring us peace."

He went on to say, "The Savior is the source of true peace."

In a troubled world where trouble looms and peace seems fleeting sometimes, I agree that the only source of true peace comes from our Savior. His is lasting peace. Despite the ongoing tragedies that plague our society, we can always turn to Him for peace amidst the storm.

I also think that there are many people who can spread peace by pointing others to the true source of peace, Christ. That's what missionaries do. I prayed for the missionaries in the Boston area this morning that they would have the Lord's Spirit to bless them to know what to say to help others if asked.

My heart goes out to all the people hurt in the bombings and all their loved ones. I live far away but I want them to know that I care and that I am praying for them. I feel in my heart to mourn with them and add my prayers to theirs for peace, comfort, hope, and healing.


No comments:

Post a Comment