Saturday, March 29, 2014

#LDS Women's Meeting

OK...so I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but I heard the term #Women's Meeting thrown about more than once so I thought I should at least join in. :)
Sarah and I had the great privilege of attending the LDS Women's Meeting this evening in the Conference Center. It was a historic meeting because it was the first time Primary girl's 8 and older, Young Women, and the Relief Society sisters have all had a meeting together. I have been attending the general Relief Society meetings either in the Tabernacle or on Temple Square for almost 30 years. I look forward to it every time and I surely didn't want to miss this one.
 There was a lot that happened around me that I took notice of and thought I would share for the benefit of others who may have watched it elsewhere.

The first thing I noticed when Jim dropped me off was the generational groupings. There were so many obvious family groups of grandmothers, mothers, teenage daughters, and Primary aged girls. It was a tender sight. The excitement was palpable. It seemed just right, the way it should be.

The Conference Center was completely full. We had wonderful seats on the main floor. There was a family in front of us that had two primary aged girls. The youth were everywhere. The feelings were tender watching daughters of God come together for this meeting.

Sarah and I had a hard time composing ourselves for the opening choir number. I was deeply moved as the Primary girls started the song Daughters in My Kingdom (start at 7:43 minutes). During the chorus, the girls sang "Precious Daughters" followed by the deeper voices of the Young Women singing "Faithful Daughters" followed by all three groups finishing. It was so touching that we just cried all the way through.

Perhaps the most touching moment came during Sister Wixom's talk. I don't know how much audiences who were watching via sattelite could see what happened all around us. She asked the Primary aged girls to stand up and listen to what she was humming and then join in singing when they knew the words. She hummed only a few notes and then ALL AROUND the Conference Center, the Primary aged girls sang the first verse of Teach Me to Walk in the Light.  (LDS Women's Meeting start at 15:06 minutes)

"Teach me to walk in the light of his love;
Teach me to pray to my Father above;
Teach me to know of the things that are right;
Teach me, teach me to walk in the light."

Then Sister Wixom asked the rest of the sisters aged 12 and older to sing the second verse. 

"Come, little child, and together we'll learn
Of his commandments, that we may return
Home to his presence, to live in his sight--
Always, always to walk in the light".

It is truly difficult to put into words the power of the Spirit we felt as we finished the song. It was clearly evident to me what the Lord was trying to teach throughout the meeting, and especially during that song...that we have to help one another no matter what our age difference so that we will be able to withstand the difficulties we will face in these last days trying to keep our covenants. To be surrounded by the girls standing and singing, followed by the older group singing in such a setting was truly amazing. Sarah and I were simply overwhelmed.

The talks were all very good and the feeling of being in such a place was certainly a blessing. I was also impressed by the last refrain of the closing song. 20,000+ voices sang in unison, "We will heed not what the wicked may say but the Lord alone we will obey." Let Us All Press On. It was powerful reminder of the difficulties we face these days and how we need to be focused on keeping our covenants and help our sisters around us to do the same. None of us will make it alone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment