Thursday, May 7, 2015

How Do Mormons Pray?

I found this video on the internet today. It was posted yesterday on Washington Post.com for the National Day of prayer. It's really well done. Here's what it said about the purpose of the video:

May 6, 2015 11:32 AM EDT - For the National Day of Prayer, leaders from different faith demonstrate how they pray. Linda Otani McKinney, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, says to think of prayer as "a heavenly conversation." (Gillian Brockell and Kate M. Tobey / The Washington Post)


Prayer is an important part of my life. I pray at least twice a day, morning and night, but like the woman in this video-I oftentimes have a prayer in my heart throughout the day. I have been praying to God since I was a little girl. It is perhaps the most basic part of my spiritual being. I know God is my Father in heaven, and I know that I am His daughter. I know He loves me and cares about me. I know He is interested in my life, and I sincerely believe He wants to help me as I seek Him for help. I always thank Him for my blessings as part of my prayers. Often I simply tell Him about my day. Some days I have a lot of good things to talk about from my day. Other days are a disaster. Some days I need to ask forgiveness for the things I chose to do wrong that day. I ask for help to do better the next time. I ask for help or blessings I need such as help with a personal problem, an area in my life where I just can't seem to get it together, or blessings for a loved one. A lot of times at the end of the day, I report in or thank God for the help I received from Him in answer to my morning prayers. Sometimes I pray in my heart while driving or while doing everyday tasks. For my morning and night prayers, I kneel at the side of my bed with my eyes closed. I particularly like to pray after I have read my scriptures, or when I go to the temple.

Prayer is one of the sweetest parts of my life. I look forward to it every morning and am grateful for it every evening.

Basically these are the four steps to prayer:
  1. Begin by saying "Dear Heavenly Father."
  2. Thank Heavenly Father for the blessings you feel you have received from Him.
  3. Ask Heavenly Father for those things you need help with.
  4. Close the prayer by saying "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen."
My prayers are really a natural flowing conversation. They are different each day, although many of the elements remain the same.

"Then shalt thou call, 
and the Lord shall answer;
 thou shalt cry, 
and he shall say,
 Here I am."
 Isaiah 58:9

No comments:

Post a Comment